Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Baked Mancakes

When I started the 21 Day Fix Extreme back in June, I was looking for healthy, fix-approved snacks that were easy to take on-the-go. My coach kept posting about these things called "Mancakes" that her whole family (including kiddos) loved. They are gluten free and made simply of oats, egg whites (or a combo of eggs and egg whites), fruit, cinnamon, and pure extracts. It piqued my interest!

I admit that I did not try out the recipe for several weeks, but when I did, I loved them! Originally, I made them to look just like pancakes, but recently, I've found out that they can be made in a 9x13 pan like an actual cake. I never could get the pancakes to turn out right, and they took forever to cook, so I was excited to try this new method of baking!

Baked mancakes are pretty dense, but that makes them filling! They can be used as a snack or a meal (that's totally up to you!) and can be eaten hot or cold.



The finished product looks just like a cake, and the cool thing is that the whole pan is just 4 servings!

Ingredients:
(makes 4 servings)

2 cups of oats
16 egg whites (I used one large container of liquid egg whites)
                        (You could also use 4 eggs and 8 egg whites. Just think 1 egg=2 egg whites)
1 cup of strawberries (frozen is fine!)
1 cup of blueberries (frozen is fine!)
1 banana
1 Tbs cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract
walnuts (optional)
coconut or spray oil

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in the blender until you reach your desired consistency (blended smooth or not, it's totally up to your preference! You could also add the blueberries after you blend so that they are left whole in the finished product)
  3. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with coconut or olive oil and pour the mixture in
  4. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick until it comes out dry to ensure it is fully cooked (using frozen fruit may prolong the baking time 10-15 minutes)
  5. Cut into 4 pieces and you have 4 meals  (or snacks) ready to go!
Container count for the 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, or The Master's Hammer & Chisel: 1 yellow, 1 purple, and 1 red per serving

My favorite way to have them is with a mixture of strawberries and blueberries, but I did not have blueberries on hand when I made the batch pictured. You can be creative with the fruit, though! Feel free to experiment!

So far, I have only used these as snacks, and I know they will be staples in my meal planning during The Master's Hammer & Chisel (which I just started yesterday!!!). Want more recipe ideas, help with meal planning, encouragement, and accountability as you strive for your goals? Join my next online health and fitness accountability group!


There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It will make a great snack for the littles as well! Next time I make them, I'm going to try them out on the gal. :)

      Delete